Vizcaino Bay action shot
Wanderlust is our 1978 Gulfstar aft-cockpit 37.
We bought her in May 2005 after the previous owners did a three-month hauled refit, spent the summer doing another full refit, left San Francisco in October and sailed more than 5000nm to Zihuatanejo, Mexico and back.
The Gulfstar 37 is a perfect couple's coastal cruiser; an ideal compromise between a fast modern boat (uncomfortable in strong weather) and a heavier full-keel cruiser (slow and unenjoyable to sail). Vizcaino Bay - the open stretch before Turtle Bay halfway down the Baja - is a place where you'll want a Gulfstar.
Wanderlust in beautiful Two Harbours
The Gulfstar 37 has a number of safety design items we were looking for:
- 19500# displacement to push through waves
- 8000# shoal-draft fin-keel with 4.8' draft
- thick uncored fiberglass hull
- large protected skeg-hung rudder
- keel-stepped mast with eight stays
- full masthead sloop rig
- solid 51HP Yanmar (4JH2E)
- marelon stopcocks on thru-hulls
At the same time, Wanderlust is fast and comfortable:
- PHRF 150
- 7.6kt hull speed (our max: 10.4kts surfing)
- standing headroom (I'm 6'2")
- (2006) new sunbrella interior
- lovely teak interior
Dorado for dinner!
Please review the following details: